If you are traveling this summer, expect to see busy terminals. The TSA expects travel volumes to reach or exceed 2019 levels over Memorial Day weekend, which were at record highs. More and more people are taking much-needed vacations, and there is growing demand from business travelers. Crew shortages and delays in aircraft deliveries are preventing the airlines from adding more capacity, thereby causing full flights.
As you prepare for your summer vacation, there are a few things you need to know:
- Check-in for your flight 24 hours or less before coming to the airport.
- Make sure to arrive 2 hours before departure to allow time to check your bags and get through security.
- American and United require passengers to check bags at least 45 minutes prior to departure.
- Alaska passengers are required to check in 40 min prior to scheduled departure
- The airlines typically close the ticket counters 30 minutes before departure.
- Full flights mean limited space in the overhead bins. If there is not enough room for your bag, it will need to be gate-checked. You will need to wait to have it delivered to you on the jet bridge. If you have a short connection time, you may miss your flight.
- Check the baggage requirements on the airline you’re flying on. Each airline has different size and weight requirements and fees.
- If taking a carry-on bag, make sure the contents can clear TSA screening. If you’re not sure, you can ask TSA at www.tsa.gov.
- Taxi service is limited at many airports, including ICT. Uber and Lyft are available.
- Rental cars may be in short supply. Plan ahead and book your vehicle as soon as you can.
- Sign up for our parking rewards program at ICT Rewards. You can earn 250 points, enough for one day of free parking in the Garage or Economy Lots, just for signing up.
TSA offers tips to help you get through the TSA checkpoint quickly and efficiently.
If you are still looking for a good deal on airfare, check our Hot Fares page frequently, or sign up for deal alerts from the airlines. Airlines offer very affordable vacation packages too. When you see a good deal, book it right away – it won’t last long.