March 13, 2014
The spring break travel season is expected to be a busy one at the Wichita Mid-Continent Airport with airlines reporting full loads. The busiest days will be Friday, March 14 through Monday, March 17, as well as next weekend when travelers return. Passengers are advised to arrive at least an hour and a half to two hours before their flight, particularly if the flight is between 6 and 7 a.m., airport officials say.
The following travel tips are provided to help make your travel a breeze:
- Arrive early; the checkpoint opens at 4 am
- Check-in for your flight online up to 24 hours before departure
- Use the Park & Ride lot; cost is just $6/day
- If picking up arriving passengers, use the cell phone lot located just south of the Park & Ride lot
- If you are a TSA Pre-Check member, or if your boarding pass indicates TSA Pre-Check, proceed to the Pre-Check lane at Security Checkpoint. Pre-Check members are allowed to keep their shoes and belts on, laptops in cases, and 3-1-1 compliant bags in their carry-on. However, if you set off the alarm, you will be selected for additional screening.
- Do not remove shoes at the security checkpoint if you are 75 years or older or 12 years and younger.
- Have your government-issued photo identification ready at Security Checkpoint.
- Be ready to remove coats, take off shoes, hand over laptops and 3-1-1 bags (unless you are in pre-check)
- The airlines begin boarding at the gate at least 30 minutes before departure.
- Airline ticket counters close 30 minutes before departure.
- Visit your airlines’ websites for rules regarding carry-on luggage
- Report suspicious activity to airport or airline officials or local law enforcement
- Visit www.flywichita.com for helpful airport information and for updated flight status.
For travel tips or information on your mobile device, download the http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information.